WHITE ROCK SCHOOL – POLICY BED-R (Regulation)
BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETINGS
PUBLIC COMMENT ON EVERY AGENDA:
Members of the public shall be allowed to attend all meetings of the board of education. In addition, the board of education will have an item on every agenda that affords citizens the right to speak on any item appearing on the agenda. The item will appear prior to any business being conducted by the board of education. Any individual wishing to address the board on any item appearing on the agenda shall sign in with the superintendent of the school at least ten (10) minutes prior to the scheduled start time of the meeting, listing the item he/she wishes to address. The president of the board will then acknowledge only those individuals whose names are listed to address the board concerning any item appearing on the board agenda.
The president of the board shall recognize speakers in the order listed on the sign-up sheet, maintain proper order, and adhere to a five (5) minute maximum time limit for each speaker. Repetitive comments by consecutive individuals will not be allowed.
Board members and administrative staff will not respond to comments or questions from the public during the Public Comment time of a board meeting. Questions from the public during the Public Comment time of a meeting, may be referred to the superintendent for a later report to the board. The board will not take specific action during the Public Comment time.
REQUESTS FOR MATTERS TO BE PLACED ON A BOARD MEETING AGENDA:
Any individual wishing to address the board of education other than the Public Comment item of a meeting of the board, shall communicate such request to the superintendent of the school by written letter. The letter must state the nature of the matter to be discussed, the full name of the person making the request, and what is expected from the board of education. The letter must be received by the superintendent at least fourteen (14) calendar days prior to the next regularly scheduled meeting in order to be considered to be placed on the agenda. All such requests will be subject to review by the school district’s legal counsel prior to being placed on any board meeting agenda. The superintendent must inform the board president of any individual or organization approved or denied the opportunity to address the board of education.
Items place on a board agenda through such written request will be considered as a separate business item, and not part of the Public Comment item.
PUBLIC REGULATIONS DURING BOARD MEETINGS:
1) The board president and/or clerk shall ask all those in attendance to list their names on a visitors register at all board meetings.
2) The board will not hear personnel complaints unless proper legal and administrative procedures concerning complaints have been followed.
3) The board will not allow debate from the public on any subject, nor speeches for or against candidates for political office, during a board meeting.
4) Members of the public shall not be recognized while the board is conducting its official business.
5) Board members and administrative staff will not respond to questions from the public during a board meeting.
6) The school administration has the legal authority and responsibility to direct any person who is interfering with the peaceful conduct of activities to leave the premises (including those attending a meeting of the board of education) 21 O.S. §§ 1375 and 1376. Any person removed from the premises will not be allowed back on the school premises without the written permission of the administration for a period of six (6) months. (See District Policy GJ (et. al, GJ –R and GJ-P) for grievance or appeals procedure and an opportunity for hearing for persons who have been required to leave the premises of a school district.